Mission Statement The Code Enforcement Division provides and coordinates various services to citizens:
- Enforces locally adopted zoning laws and city codes to improve the quality of neighborhoods in Missouri City
- Provides nuisance code enforcement to ensure high maintenance standards
- Works with citizens and homeowner associations in addressing violations through proactive and reactive code enforcement. The code enforcement flow chart explains how violations are handled by City staff.
OverviewThe City’s Code Enforcement staff responds to potential violations of the City Missouri City Municipal Code which includes property maintenance, water quality, recreational vehicle parking and storage, zoning regulations, signs, and home occupations. When a violation is identified, the responsible parties are contacted and requested to abate the violation.
If the respondent fails to comply with the City codes, the City conducts administrative hearings giving the respondent every opportunity to voluntarily comply. If voluntary compliance cannot be achieved, the City Attorney may prosecute the case. Administrative citations are utilized for some minor infractions, while a criminal and civil complaint process is used for significant violations.
The division also:
- Inspects all food establishments to assure proper handling, storage and preparation of food being offered for consumption
- Provides food protection management training to all food establishments
- Provides informational resources to the public
- Responds to public requests for assistance
Be a PartnerYou can make Missouri City a better place to live, work and play by following these steps to help resolve code compliance issues in your neighborhood:
- File a request for service at SeeClickFix. Please provide specific and detailed information including exact location or address and a complete description of the issue.
- You may call the Code Compliance Division 24 hours a day at 281.403.8560 or submit by way of SeeClickFix.
- Get involved by attending neighborhood association meetings.
Report Code Enforcement Concerns
If you would like to report a code enforcement concerns, please call the Code Enforcement Hot Line at 281.403.8560 or visit SeeClickFix.
When a caller reports a code violation or has questions about a code violation case a staff member will transfer the caller to a Code Enforcement Officer (CEO) if they are available. If the CEO is not available, the staff member will either take a message and forward it via e-mail or forward the caller through to voicemail. When the CEO receives the message, and if the caller's name and/or telephone number is left, the CEO will return the call. If no name or number is left, but the address of where the alleged violation occurs is left, the CEO will put the address into a computer tracking system. If the call concerns a serious health or safety issue, the alleged violation is required to be investigated the same day the call is received. Otherwise it is prioritized and will be investigated within 48 hours.
If a violation is found enforcement action is taken. There is a progressive ladder of enforcement that ranges from verbal warnings to written citations. If the action deals with property upkeep, the property owner is responsible for compliance. They are sent written notification with a specific compliance time. If the violation deals with parking or sanitation, the vehicle owner or utility customer is responsible for compliance. The compliance time ranges from 10 days to 180 days for specific offenses. Occasionally, if the violation is severe, the city will correct the problem and bill the responsible party. Usually those violations deal with hazardous substances that are an immediate hazard to the public or the environment.
All enforcement actions that require warnings or enforcement letters are filed according to date and kept for the required time frame as outlined by the state law. Citations are kept at Municipal Court under the same requirements.
Reporting of a violation can be completed anonymously via SeeClickFix. If a violation is reported and the reporting party (RP) wants contact, they must leave a call back name and number.
For more information about these codes or to report a code violation please call the Code Enforcement Office at 281.403.8650.