The new ordinance adopted on November 19, 2001, Ordinance 0-01-59, requires property owners/residents to trim trees, bushes and other types of foliage that are not in accordance with the following guidelines:
- No tree branch shall hang lower than 13 feet over the roadway
- No tree branch shall hang lower than 8 feet over the sidewalk
- All trees, bushes, shrubs, and other types of foliage shall not obstruct visual sight of street signs or illumination from streetlights
- Causing damage to fire trucks, buses, and other vehicles
- Impeding emergency and delivery vehicles by obstructing their paths
- Obstructing the views of both drivers and pedestrians
- Obstructing paths of pedestrians
- Blocking visual sight of street signs
- Blocking illumination of street lights
Beginning in March 2002, the City's Code Enforcement officers will begin to issue code violation letters whenever a problem is detected and all property owner/residents will be expected to comply with the new ordinance requirements. To avoid enforcement actions, each property owner/resident should take immediate steps to ensure their trees, shrubs, bushes and brush are properly trimmed.
Any questions concerning Code Enforcement should be directed to their hotline at 281.403.8560. Questions concerning tree trimming can be directed to the Public Works Department at 281.403.8570.