Mayor's Youth Commission
ABOUT THE MAYOR'S YOUTH COMMISSION
*The End-of-Year Banquet typically takes the place of May's meeting. Members will be notified in advance of banquet date, time and location details, and any other meeting changes.
WHY JOIN MYC?
- Have a positive impact on your community.
- Hear from municipal leaders and learn how municipal government works.
- Gain and enhance essential leadership skills.
- Have the opportunity to visit the State Capitol in March every other year and meet elected representatives.
All offices are for a one year term with no limit to the number of terms. The following positions are available:
- Responsible for leading the Commission and presiding over meetings (following Robert's Rule of Order); works with members and MYC coordinators/liaisons to recommend, develop, plan and implement service projects and other commission activities.
- Responsible for assisting the President in leading the Commission; presides over meetings or records minutes in place of the President or Secretary in case of absence.
- Responsible for maintaining meeting agendas and recording the minutes for each meeting; assists the President in ensuring the meeting is followed according to Robert's Rule of Order.
- Responsible for photographing and documenting commission’s events, projects and activities throughout the year.
- Be a current resident of Missouri City, either within the corporate City limits of Missouri City (or within the communities of the City's extra-territorial jurisdiction) or currently attend a Missouri City high school.
- Currently be between 6th and 12th grade.
- Make a commitment to attending all MYC meetings; members should not have more than 2 excused absences.
- Make a commitment to serving the minimum required amount of community service.
- Complete the application process.
CODE OF CONDUCT
Members of the Missouri City Mayor's Youth Commission pledge to be a role model for the youth of Missouri City. In becoming members of MYC, individuals promise to:
- Commit to community service and helping others.
- Respect and listen to their peers and those in authority.
- Be caring, honest and hardworking citizens.
The application deadline for the 2018-19 school year has now passed. Please check back in Summer 2019 for updates!