Entering a Plea

Options Once You Have Decided Your Plea

  • If your plea is guilty or no contest, you may do one of the following:
    • Appear in court on your assigned court date to see a judge and enter your plea (this is called an arraignment)
    • Pay the amount of the fine by mail, in person, by phone 866-219-0329 or Online Court Payments on or before your court date unless otherwise stated on the citation given to you by the police officer.
  • If your plea is not guilty, you must enter your plea in open court and you may request that the complaint be set for a trial before either a judge or jury.

Note: You also may have the option of attending a Driving Safety Course to keep the offense from appearing on your driving record. Click here for details on Driving Safety Course.

What Happens at a Criminal Traffic Trial

The state is represented by a prosecutor who must prove the charges against you, as stated on the complaint, beyond a reasonable doubt. The state presents its case first by calling witnesses to testify against you. You will be allowed to hear all the testimony against you, and if you wish, after each witness has testified you will have a turn to ask questions of the witness.

After the state has presented its case, you may present your case. You may call other witnesses to testify for you who know something about the incident. You may testify on your own behalf, but you are not required to do so. If you do not testify, your silence cannot be used against you.

If you have additional questions or concerns about entering a plea, please contact the Municipal Court.