At their Monday, March 15 Virtual Regular Meeting, Councilmembers authorized an ordinance suspending certain regulations regarding temporary signage to assist small businesses with marketing/promotion during the pandemic; authorized the city manager to negotiate and execute an agreement for the extension of grant program services; authorized staff to enter into a settlement agreement on the eminent domain lawsuit as part of the Knight Road extension project; approved an ordinance to amend the Fiscal Year 2021 budget; and approved an ordinance to temporarily suspend certain landscaping regulations and permit fees related to damage caused by the recent winter storm. Here is a rundown of all Council actions at the meeting:
- Acting Fire Chief Mario Partida presented a COVID-19 update.
- Approved the minutes of the special and regular City Council meetings of March 1, 2021.
- Approved an ordinance on the second and final reading to temporarily suspend certain regulations regarding temporary display signs as set forth in Section 4, Definitions, and Section 13, Sign Regulations, of Appendix A, of the Missouri City Code, entitled “The City of Missouri City Zoning Ordinance.” This relaxation will be in effect for the next six months to assist in promotion and marketing of small businesses that are being impacted due to the pandemic.
- The ordinance would relax the city’s sign regulations to allow for:
- Banners to be located on building walls or along the business frontage for the duration of the relaxed enforcement period; and
- Feather flag signs to be located in accordance with flag sign requirements.
- Signs subject to this ordinance could be located without the issuance of a permit but conditioned upon compliance with all other provisions for the sign type including but not limited to maximum size; number; and location.
- For more details, click item 6(b) in Agenda Packet.
- Authorized the city Manager to negotiate and execute a lease contract for replacing the existing lease at the end of cycle for citywide desktops and laptops.
- Authorized the execution of contracts for the City’s municipal court judges.
- Authorized the city manager to negotiate and execute an agreement for the extension of grant program services.
- Authorized the negotiation and execution of an agreement to fund wastewater treatment facility rehabilitation for the Steep Bank Flat Bank Wastewater Treatment Facility between the City and Fort Bend County Municipal Utility District No. 42, Fort Bend County Municipal Utility District No. 46, Fort Bend County Municipal Utility District No. 115, Fort Bend County Municipal Utility District No. 129, Fort Bend County Municipal Utility District No. 149, and First Colony Municipal Utility District No. 9.
- Authorized staff to enter into a settlement agreement relating to City of Missouri City v. William M. Pace, Jr. and Cynthia Ann Pace for the acquisition of land by eminent domain for the Knight Road extension project.
- Authorized the execution of an amendment to an updated service agreement for temporary solid waste services.
- Approved an ordinance on the first and final reading to amend the general budget for the fiscal year beginning Oct. 1, 2020, and ending Sept. 30, 2021; transferring various appropriations among accounts; appropriating supplemental revenue to various fund accounts; amending the authorized staffing for Fiscal Year 2021; authorizing the appropriate city officials to take steps necessary to March 15, 2021 Regular City Council Meeting Agenda accomplish such transfers and making certain findings.
- Approved an ordinance on the first and final reading to temporarily suspend certain landscaping regulations set forth in Section 11, Landscaping, of Appendix A of the Missouri City Code, entitled “The City of Missouri City Zoning Ordinance;” and suspend the imposition of certain development (building and health permit) fees related to damage caused by the recent winter storm.
- The suspension will be in effect through May 1, 2021.
- For more details, click item 10(b) in Agenda Packet.
- Approved a resolution granting consent to Missouri City Management District No. 2 to annex approximately 42.93 acres of land situated within the City.
- Approved a resolution granting consent to Sienna Plantation Municipal Utility District No. 10 to annex certain land situated within the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the City.
The next Regular City Council Meeting will be hosted virtually on Monday, April 5 at 7 p.m. and it may be watched via MCTV live stream on the City’s website here: https://www.missouricitytx.gov/780/MCTV.
Council Connection serves as a recap for all Regular City Council Meetings. To review details of all Special City Council Meetings including the agenda packets, minutes and watch the video, please visit here: https://www.missouricitytx.gov/407/City-Council.
Citizens who would like to participate in the “Public Comments” section, have the option to either share their comments in writing or speak during the Zoom meeting. Any person interested, must notify the City by one of the following methods before 4 p.m. on the day of the City Council meeting:
- Email or call the City Secretary at CSO@missouricitytx.gov or 281.403.8686.
- Submit a public comment form to the City Secretary by clicking this link: https://bit.ly/39pw73Q.
Once a resident signs up for public comments, he or she will be contacted by the City Secretary’s office with further details on how to login for the meeting. Residents are advised not to share the Zoom invitation with others, as only those who are signed up for public comments, presenters, staff and council will be allowed access to the meeting.
Residents who wish to listen or watch the meeting may access the livestream on the City website via this link: https://www.missouricitytx.gov/780/MCTV.
For more updates, please watch the City website: www.missouricitytx.gov, like us on Facebook—fb/MissouriCityTX, follow us on Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat—@MissouriCityTX and Nextdoor, watch Missouri City Television (Ch. 16 on Comcast and Ch. 99 on AT&T) or download the MCTX Mobile app (available for free in Google Play and the Apple app store).