The City Council approved an ordinance to hold a special election on Saturday, May 1 to submit proposed changes to the City Charter to MCTX voters. Polling locations for both Fort Bend and Harris counties will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
The proposed changes to the Charter came out of the 2020 Charter Review Commission. Five City residents worked for six months, issuing a final report on Dec. 21, 2020. The last changes to the Charter occurred about four years ago.
What’s on the May 1 Ballot?
Missouri City residents in Fort Bend and Harris counties will be able to vote for or against the following propositions on the May 1 ballot:
- Clarify that the mayor may not act as chief administrative officer and fulfill the duties of the city manager.
- Establish a one-year term for the mayor pro tem position.
- Clarify that the city manager must obtain the City Council of Missouri City’s advice and consent to appoint, suspend or remove all or any one of the City’s department directors.
- Require that, if a contract is entered into for the employment of the city manager, the compensation of the city manager shall be set forth in such contract which must be voted on by a majority vote of the City Council of Missouri City.
- Extend the term of office for the mayor, district councilmembers, and councilmember- at-large positions from two to three years.
- Provide that a person is limited to twelve consecutive years on the city council before the person is required to sit out for a period of two-years before holding another position on the city council.
- Extend the time the city manager can transfer or request to transfer unencumbered appropriations from sixty days to ninety days after the end of the fiscal year.
- Clarify that the requirement of the city council to receive and consider bids for the sale of bonds applies to competitive sales only.
- Change the appointment date of charter review commissioners from July to January.
Fort Bend County will be coordinating the election for Fort Bend County residents; and, Harris County will do the same for Harris County residents. To preview ballots, residents may click on the county they reside in: Fort Bend | Harris
Polling Locations for Residents in Harris County Neighborhoods
Residents may vote at any polling location within their appropriate county. However, Harris County does not have an Early Voting or Election Day polling location within the city limits of Missouri City as the location previously used on Election Day suffered water damage and is not available.
Polling hours are from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday, May 1 and the Harris County locations near Missouri City are as follows:
- Greater Saint Matthew Baptist Church South West Campus | 14919 South Main, Houston, TX 77035
- Windsor Village Community Center | 14441 Croquet Lane, Houston, TX 77085
- Southside Place Park Clubhouse | 3743 Garnet St., Houston, TX 77005
- West University Place City Hall | 3800 University Blvd., Houston, TX 77005
- Harris County Attorney Conference Center | 1019 Congress Ave., Houston, TX 77002
- Memorial Parkway Junior High School | 21203 Highland Knolls Dr., Katy, TX 77450
- El Franco Lee Community Center | 9500 Hall Rd., Houston, TX 77089
Polling locations are subject to change and for latest details including hours and wait times in Harris County, visit www.harrisvotes.com.
Polling Locations for Residents in Fort Bend County Neighborhoods
Residents may vote at any polling location within Fort Bend County.
Polling hours are from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday, May 1 and the Fort Bend County locations within city limits and near Missouri City are as follows:
- Hightower High School | 3333 Hurricane Lane, Missouri City, TX 77459
- Hunters Glen Elementary School | 695 Independence Blvd., Missouri City, TX 77489
- Lake Olympia Marina Clubhouse | 180 Island Blvd., Missouri City, TX 77459
- Lantern Lane Elementary School | 3323 Mission Valley Dr., Missouri City, TX 77459
- Lexington Creek Elementary School | 2335 Dulles Ave., Missouri City, TX 77459
- Missouri City Baptist Church | 16816 Quail Park Dr., Missouri City, TX 77489
- Missouri City Community Center | 1522 Texas Pkwy., Missouri City, TX 77489
- Missouri City Parks & Recreation | 2701 Cypress Point Dr., Missouri City, TX 77459
- Quail Valley Elementary School | 3500 Quail Village Dr., Missouri City, TX 77459
- Quail Valley Fund Office | 3603 Glenn Lakes Lane, Missouri City, TX 77459
- Briarchase Missionary Baptist Church | 16000 Blue Ridge Rd., Missouri City, TX 77489
- Chasewood Clubhouse | 7622 Chasewood Dr., Missouri City, TX 77489
- Ridge Point High School | 500 Waters Lake Blvd., Missouri City, TX 77459
- Sienna Annex | 5855 Sienna Springs Way, Missouri City, TX 77459
Polling locations are subject to change and for latest details including hours and wait times in Fort Bend County, click the appropriate links: Early Voting | Election Day
Citizens may also watch Mayor Robin J. Elackatt and City Attorney E. Joyce Iyamu address the May 1 Special Election and the Charter Review process on the special “In the News” edition via this link: Watch Video.
For more updates, please watch the City website: www.missouricitytx.gov, like us on Facebook—fb/MissouriCityTX, follow us on Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat—@MissouriCityTX and Nextdoor, watch Missouri City Television (Ch. 16 on Comcast and Ch. 99 on AT&T) or download the MCTX Mobile app (available for free in Google Play and the Apple app store).
Updated: April 28, 2021 @ 1 p.m.